Qualifying for the 2024 Republican Special Election Primary in Alabama House District 27 will open Monday, January 29, 2024 at 8:30 a.m. CST and close on Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. CST. Please read the following guidelines. All qualifying fees are non-refundable.
- Complete and return Declaration of Candidacy form and qualifying fee to ALGOP. You can do this on-line by clicking the link below starting on Monday, January 29, 2024 at 8:30 a.m. CST.
- Submission of your on-line qualification form is the equivalent of your signature and acknowledgement that you have fully read and understand the contents of the form.
- Complete and submit a Statement of Economic Interests form to the Alabama Ethics Commission either on-line or using a paper form. The ALGOP highly suggest filing this form before qualifying as candidate with the ALGOP or a county chairman. You have five (5) calendar days after qualifying to complete and submit this information. If you do not fill this out on time you can be disqualified. Completed paper forms can be mailed to the Alabama Ethics Commission, P.O. Box 302300, Montgomery, AL 36130-2300. Questions can be directed to the Ethics Commission by calling 334-242-2997.
- Complete and submit the Appointment of Principal Campaign Committee form to the Secretary of State’s office on-line within five (5) calendar days of qualifying with ALGOP or a county chairman. If you do not fill this out on time you can be disqualified.
- Be aware of all pre-election campaign finance report deadlines and submit to the Secretary of State as required by the Alabama Fair Campaign Practices Act (FCPA). You may be required to file these forms on-line either daily, weekly, monthly, or annually depending on filing calendar and when you hit specific thresholds. Please check FCPA Filing Calendar to be sure you do not miss any dates. Fundraising thresholds are outlined in the Candidate Filing Guide. The on-line FCPA Reporting System can be found here (login required). Fines may be assessed if you do not file the required campaign finance reports by the deadline. A copy of the Alabama Fair Campaign Practices Act is available from either the ALGOP Headquarters (3505 Lorna Road, Birmingham, AL 35216) or the Secretary of State’s office (600 Dexter Ave, Montgomery, AL 36104).
- Upon dissolution of the campaign committee, the chairman or treasurer of the committee should provide the Secretary of State’s office with a Statement of Dissolution Form (available here), a record of unreported contributions and expenditures, and a statement of how excess campaign funds will be distributed. This form can be mailed to: Office of the Secretary of State, ATTN: Elections Division, P.O. Box 5616, Montgomery, AL 36103-5616.
- If you have any questions on how to fill out any campaign finance forms, contact the Secretary of State office at 334-242-7210 or 1-800-274-VOTE.
- If you do not fill out any of the required forms on time you can be disqualified.
- Be sure to confer with legal counsel to ensure correct compliance with all election laws.
Without limiting any other rights or powers, ALGOP retains the right to review all Declarations of Candidacy, to hear Candidate Challenges, and to control and ultimately determine all questions of ballot access.
Forms and Information:
- ALGOP Declaration of Candidacy form (on-line form will be available Monday, January 29, 2024 at 8:30 a.m. CST)
- 2024 FCPA Filing Calendar
- 2024 Candidate Filing Guidelines
- 2024 Candidate Filing Guide
- Appointment of Principal Campaign Committee on-line form
- FCPA On-Line Reporting System (login required)
- Campaign Advertising Guidelines and Disclaimers
- Alabama Ethics Commission Statement of Economic Interest Form and Instructions
- Dissolution of Campaign Committee form
- Alabama House of Representatives: $1193.48